Tuesday 31 May 2016

Rocking Winterthur Half Marathon

I love to run. But I don’t run in races. I’ve never understood running in a race I will never have the chance of winning. My hubbie seems to think this is a crazy notion, ie it’s not about the winning, it’s about the taking part (although we all knew that wasn't true when our parents told us as kids)

So, anyway, this leads us to spending lots of time at running races – hubbie running in them and me watching them. Which I actually don’t mind because I love the atmosphere at these events and so do my girls. We've been to a few in Switzerland now and they are always very well organised - and the majority of those taking part are pretty fit - even the seniors, So you may find yourself in a different overall position to that which you are accustomed to - and you may find yourself being overtaken by a surprising number of sprightly runners who are 20 years or more senior than you. But don't let that put you off, you'll still have a blast.

And last weekend’s Marathon/Half Marathon event in Winterthur certainly didn’t disappoint.

We arrived just under an hour before I expected Gourmet Gray and his brother Paul to finish and the atmosphere was buzzing. There was rock music playing loudly, the perfect musical accompaniment to any public, testosterone-led get together I feel. We squeezed into a space in the crowd of people lining the last 100 metres before the finish and started ‘hop, hop’ hop’ (ing) the runners as they headed for home. The lovely thing about this race was that every runner had his first name on the front of his vest so the audience could shout encouragement to each runner by name, which I think is a lovely touch.

The music went off and a band started playing just as there was a frisson in the crowd and the first Half Marathon runner came in (Dadi Fikru Abera at the amazing time of 1:06)

It was of course a little while later before daddy arrived but I was over the moon for him breaking his PB in under two hours. I love to witness the elation among the runners as they cross the line on a high and feel a little stab of something – who knows, perhaps one day I can also run a race without the need to win.

www.winterthur-marathon.ch

Details of Sunday's Winterthur Marathon competitors here.

7 comments:

  1. Gourmet Gray, huh? ;-)
    I don't like to run, but I do admire and support those who do.
    My son takes part in local races, and of course he goes after the medals, even though I tell him it's about being part of it - hey, I'm a parent ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes tamara, he has a particular knack in the kitchen ;) Hurray for your son - I'm sure he'll get that medal one day!

      Delete
  2. I so don't like to run.. but I would love to challenge myself in the next year's Geneva's 6,5 km run :) The whole marathon? WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lusia, go for it! You won't regret it. I have a beer swilling friend who reckoned she would never ever run. She now runs around six marathons per year! Anything is possible!!

      Delete
  3. I love running and I agree with your hubs. I get such a rush off of preparing, pinning on a number, seeing that I'm a part of a huge gathering of people busting their butts. The music, the crowds of strangers cheering for me and the complete endorphine rush. It's real! Congrats to him and you for supporting him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Tara. I really hope I will also be one of the runners like you someday. When I have ditched the ego ;)

      Delete
  4. Races have such a great atmosphere. I love it all. The music, the excitement, the food, etc. You must be a pro at all things spectator relates!

    ReplyDelete